Pilates is a great exercise option for pregnant women, and post pregnancy.
Pregnancy is a journey. Not only does working out with pilates classes ensure you are strong and healthy, it also has a very positive impact on your baby’s mental and physical well-being.
Exercising during your pregnancy also reduces your chances of gestational diabetes and pre-eclampsia. It can also ease a lot of the niggling side effects of pregnancy like constipation, swollen ankles, varicose veins, lower back soreness, sacroiliac joint pain and trouble sleeping. But most importantly it prepares the body for birth and life as a new mum which is physically demanding on your body.
Pilates is designed to realign and re-balance the body and with so much change going on in your body during your pregnancy you need to be working out to support this change, not challenge it. That’s why Pilates is a really safe and effective way to exercise during your entire pregnancy.
Why should I do Pre/ Post Natal Pilates?
Pre/ Post-Natal Pilates is one of the best ways of developing optimal pelvic floor function, which is an important muscle during delivery, and to ensure a full recovery during the post-natal period.
Regular Pilates strengthens important stabilising muscles to help with preventing back pain from carrying the extra weight during pregnancy and relieves pregnancy-related injuries such as back ache and pelvic pain.
Providing all is going well, you can do Pre-Natal Pilates right through till the delivery of your baby.
You can start Post-Natal Pilates any time after 6 weeks post-partum or when you have been cleared by your GP.
This type of regular exercise enables you to control excess weight gain during pregnancy and achieve a faster recovery following the birth of your child. Pre-Natal Pilates prepares you not only for giving birth but the physical job of having a new-born baby to lift, bath, feed, push and carry.
Benefits of Pilates
- Greater muscle tone and strength, especially for your deep abdominals and pelvic floor muscles
- Reduces pre/ post birth aches and pains
- Improves flexibility
- Better posture and postural awareness
- Reduces the occurrence of incontinence and pelvic floor issues
- Corrects muscle imbalances: this builds correct movement patterns for your body
- Aids relaxation, improves sleep and increases energy levels
- Improves circulation and helps to prevent varicose veins and leg cramps
- Encourages correct breathing in labour and reduces shortness of breath during pregnancy
- Accelerates post-natal recovery
What can you expect from Village Physio pre/post natal Pilates classes?
- A tailored Pre/ Post Natal Pilates program supervised by either our physiotherapist or osteopath that will be modified as you progress through your pregnancy.
- A wide variety of exercises utilising the mat, gym balls and other equipment.
As registered Allied health professionals, Village Physio practitioners are experts in providing exercise and Pilates instruction so you can be confident your program is targeting the right areas in the safest manner possible.
Give us a call today to book your Pilates journey with one of our Physiotherapists.