Continuing on from our previous blog about the connection between your gut and your immune system, I have included some simple dietary and lifestyle changes that you can make to help reduce inflammation in your body. This inflammation could be due to injury, poor food choices or a diagnosed inflammatory condition.
Consume plenty of:
- Herbs & spices: especially turmeric (curcumin) and ginger, also cinnamon and garlic
- Omega 3: which consist of fish and seafood (e.g. wild salmon, sardines, muscles/ oysters). If you’re not a fan of fish – consider a fish oil supplements.
- Good/ healthy fats: such as extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, nuts (especially almonds and walnuts), avocado, seeds and ground flaxseed
- Vegetables: both raw and cooked, and all types. Especially dark green leafy vegetables: spinach, kale and broccoli.
- Fruit: Especially colourful fruits such as blueberries, blackberries, cherries, strawberries
- Whole grains: Whole wheats, whole oats and brown rice
- Supplements: Cod liver oil, Vitamin C, E and D3
- Antioxidants: Golgi berries, tea, dark chocolate
- Refined carbohydrates: white bread, cereal, white rice, white potatoes and pasta
- Alcohol consumption: as it weakens the liver function
- Sugar: triggers the release of inflammatory messengers called cytokines. Avoid ingredients ending in ‘ose’, eg fructose, sucrose
- MSG foods: Asian food, soy sauce, fast food, salad dressing and deli meats
- Processed foods: cookies, chips, lollies and other snacks.
- Stress and/or smoking
Nightshade vegetables: Limited evidence on whether night shade vegetables (eggplant, tomatoes, capsicums and potatoes) causes a trigger to inflammation. Try cutting out nightshade vegetables for 2 weeks to see if symptoms improve.
Capsicums: high quantities of anti-oxidant vitamins and lower levels of starch. In some people may exacerbate inflammation.
Tomatoes: Rich in lycopene, shown to reduce inflammation but in some individuals may cause inflammation.
For more information, give us a call, or book a session with one of our wonderful team members.