Physiotherapy after ankle sprain?
Do I need physiotherapy after an ankle sprain??
- After an ankle sprain you are at a much higher risk of another ankle sprain (if you don’t not have proper rehabilitation)
- If you have multiple ankle sprains, your ankle can become permanently unstable
- This can increase your risk of wear and tear at the joints eg. Arthritis
- It can also make the joints very stiff resulting in restricted ankle movement
- Affecting your ability to perform simple activities eg. land, hopping, jumping, running, going down stairs, squatting (everything!)
Why can’t I just do balance exercises at home??
Will you be confident knowing what you should be doing? And will you do it…
We help with:
- Assessment to determine the extent of the injury and referral for a scan or surgical review, if required.
- Prescribe an INDIVIDUAL exercise program to restore movement, strength and balance. This is progressed according to your assessments and your goals and sports.
- Advice regarding aids eg. Brace, boot, taping etc
- Hands on therapy such as massage and joint mobility techniques, if required.
Written by Physiotherapist – Eliza Edkins.